Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Girl in the Yellow Dress

When I was a sophomore in high school, I attended my very first dance. There was this girl standing across the dance floor wearing a yellow dress. She was so beautiful. I didn't have the courage to ask her to dance, perhaps for fear of the long lonely walk back across the gym floor after being refused. I finally willed myself to go ask, and then suddenly she was gone, in a fleeting second...she must have left. I began to imagine what she must've been like. Her laugh, certainly her kiss. I still know exactly what that feels like, though I've never felt it. She's been a figment for 29 years. An imagined standard by which all other women seem to have fallen terribly short. How could they not, after I'd individualized her with every quality I so longed for? I've never met the girl in the yellow dress. Seeing you [in a yellow dress], I guess, I just...

- Alan Shore in Boston Legal - Episode 3x13 - Dumping Bella

1 comment: