Thursday, July 9, 2009

Valentine

Dear Valentine, come away with me. If I had a day with you, and you only, I would enjoy the simple things. The things that, in the end, when time steals the rest away, are the only things we'll remember. I would paddle you across a still lake in a rowboat, and read poetry to you until you fell asleep, and I would never ever think about the hours.

Dear Valentine, if I had one day with you, and you only, I would admire every line of your face, every strand of your hair, every graceful movement of your hands or your eyes or your body. If I had one perfect day.

Don't you see? My heart beats only for you.

--- --- ---

Dear Valentine, these are the things I remember of my love. A warm hand, your warm breath, your warm mouth, your arms around mine. I remember feeling safe, ceaseless, like one person, the two of us still, at rest, entwined. I remember how I felt the first time I kiss you. It felt like the high dive.

What do you remember? How will I ever know what was inside your heart? Where do they go? All the things we think and feel, but don't say?

--- --- ---

Dear Valentine, these are the things I never told you. These are the things I need you to know. That I loved you always, and my love was so big, it lives still after you're gone. I would like to tell you that I'd do it differently. That if I had one more day, I'd do everything right. But I know that isn't true. I'd make all the same mistakes. That is, except one. I wouldn't say goodbye.

--- --- ---

- Narrator in Everwood - Episode 1x16 - My Funny Valentine

No comments:

Post a Comment